Remember this is at Day 17, and obviously not the final outcome and result for me. I still have stiffness and swelling in the bottom half of my face, especially around my lips and chin area. closing my lips together does not feel completely natural yet, because they are still tight and slightly numb.
I want to say a HUGE Thank you to everyone who have said such kind things regarding my profile. Even at this early stage, I am starting to feel happy with the outcome of my surgery, even though it will take some time to get used to! I really am 100% glad I got it done, I finally have a normal functioning bite and a better balanced profile :)
Words can not express how un-natural my profile felt pre surgery. Everything just felt tense and strained and It really did show. Even when I was in a great mood, my face at rest did not display the way I truly felt. I looked angry or worried all the time. It was so frustrating not being able to close my lips properly over my open bite and constantly feeling insecure about it! When out with friends, I actually would make a point of talking a lot as I preferred to have my mouth open, showing my straight teeth then to sit there with my mouth closed, feeling all the muscles in the bottom half of my face strain. I also hated people starring at me side on.
Eating with an Open bite really does suck!! I can't wait to be able to start using my new bite very soon :)
Anyways If you experience ANY of this and are having the surgery soon, I am REALLY excited for you, because I know you will have great results too!!!
Before and After
Right side-Lips closed
Right side- Lips open with smile
Left side- Lips closed
Left side- Lips open with smile
Front view- lips relaxed.
Front view with smile.
This was a bit of a silly photo with my hoodie and scarf, but I started to get really cold while taking these pics today. It has been a very cold and rainy long weekend so far. This was the only decent front I go as my smile is weird and does not feel 100% natural yet! I can tell however, that it will be less gummy.
Also, my mum made a comment about me looking younger. Do you think I look younger?? I am 24 this year! I don't want to look too young! lol












Gorgeous Rhianna!!! Thank you for sharing the photos! I am so happy for you - you look amazing!
ReplyDeleteYour photos are so motivating, I can't even express how excited I am to have the surgery. I'm so happy you're on the other side now and looking amazing! Your profile is perfect!!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to ask, did your surgeon do digital imaging of what your profile would look like back before you had the surgery? I had this done, my jaw looked really good but my nose ended up looking a lot bigger which doesn't make any sense. I've heard that the images aren' really accurate so I'm hoping thats the case.
@ Terra, my surgeon didn't do digital imaging, just explained what my changes would/might be. I really had NO IDEA what I was going to look like. That's why I am putting lots of photos up, I really want to help others get a better idea of how the surgery changes different aspects of your profile. Before my surgery I got really stressed and nervous. I was so worried about my lip incompetence, my chin and my nose getting wider and looking bigger then it already was. I knew the surgery would give me a perfect bite, but I just couldn't picture how it would balance out my profile. Thankfully it did, and I couldn't be happier :)
ReplyDeleteI know the outcome is different for everyone, but seeing a visual or a photo before having surgery is more comforting I believe, then just being told. I am so glad you are really excited for the surgery! YOU SHOULD BE!!! you are going to look amazing!!!
P.S my nose looked bloody huge pre surgery, once everything was aligned and brought forward, I believe it's not so obvious. Don't worry, you will have the same result!
ReplyDeleteMy mum keeps looking at my nose and thinks it looks smaller and cuter! haha I have never thought I had a cute nose, but maybe it will grow on me.
your nose is so cute!! I would be sooooo happy if my nose ended up looking the way yours does. I'm going to have to ask the surgeon for the picture, because I think I was just in shock when I first saw it.
ReplyDeletethe comparison pictures are such a huge help and I[m sure they're going to continue helping so many people have a better idea of what to expect. So glad you had such a great outcome :)
It's great to see comparison pictures like this, I think the surgery has made your face look more dainty, as in I think your features look softer. I don't think your nose looked particularly big before but I think the surgery has made it look smaller and cuter! I really hope surgery has the same effect on my nose as I think mine is quite big but only because of my unbalanced profile.
ReplyDelete@Terra, I don't know whether you follow Whitney's blog but she did a post here where she's shown her predicted digital image and what she actually ended up looking like - as you'll see she ended up looking much better than her predicted picture
http://whitneysjawsurgery.blogspot.com/2011/03/orthodontists-forecast-compared-against.html
Rhianna you are so so cute! Your profile is adorable and I am SO happy that you had such incredible results! I do think you look a bit younger, but I wouldn't worry about that too much, it's not like you look 16 or anything.
ReplyDelete@Terra I had predicted images done and they were absolutely terrible. I look NOTHING like the predicted images. Although the surgeon/ortho are incredible smart people, most of them are not absolute experts in working the software that allows them to do predicted images. In my photo, my lips got completely distorted and it was just odd, I could barely look at it! So don't worry too much about what they look like!
I wanted to give my two cents also on your nose - it is smaller looking and very cute! I love it!!
ReplyDeleteOh you guys are so great! I was really hoping that it wasn't just me and that those pictures were generally horrible. I'm going to try to get mine from the surgeon next time I go, I'll have to post it on my blog.
ReplyDeleteOh thank you guys, your comments are beyond lovely!!! I am so glad the photos are helpful :)
ReplyDeleteI think the predicted images are somewhat limiting. Sure they can give you a general idea of what you will look like with a balanced profile, but surely a computer cannot accurately depict the effects the surgery will have on your cheeks, lips, chin, and face shape.
My surgeon got me to stand in front of a long mirror while he stood behind pointing to different areas on my face, showing me what would be changed and improved. It was really helpful but by the time I got home I had basically forgotten everything he had said. Seeing before/after photos from his previous patents was much more helpful.
I guess looking younger is ok :) My late teen's and early 20's were filled with so many insecurities and self doubt, so this will be a fresh start for me. I finish university in 5 months, so bring on all the new adventures!!!
I am in awe! You look absolutely lovely. Despite the swelling, the difference is indisputable. And I do think you look younger, but in the sense that you now look more your age. Can't wait to be in your shoes! (though I am, of course, not trying to make light of what you've gone through). The changes I see in your photos and those of all the other jaw bloggers out there (hi guys!) is just so encouraging and excitement-inducing.
ReplyDeleteYou look gorgeous, Rihanna! You must be thrilled! Great job! :-)
ReplyDeleteYour changes are AMAZING!! You look absolutely beautiful. And, yes, you look younger (super-cute). Your results are natural and spot-on! I'm happy for you.
ReplyDeleteYou look great! I agree your nose looks smaller. You must be so happy with your results :)
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! xo
ReplyDeleteWow your profile is so amazing, my profile looks just like your before photos! Do you feel like your nose changed ??
ReplyDeleteThanks Jeanette! Yes my nose did change slightly. Some of my family actually thought I'd had a Rinoplasty done too because my nose looked smaller and different side on. Because my top jaw was impacted and raised it slightly widened my nose from a front on perspective and the tip is slightly more raised. I don't feel it's the most ideal nose I would like, but I am happy it appears smaller and is more balanced with my new profile :)
ReplyDelete