Ok, so yesterday a lady from hospital rang me up to tell me not to take any fish oil or anti inflammatory tablets from now untill the surgery! I thought this was alittle strange but very glad she told me because I take fish oil everday!! My surgeon didn't mention anything about it!
Was anyone else told not to have fish oil leading up to their surgery?? And if so, do you know why?
Hi Rihanna! I was told to pretty much stop EVERYTHING! All herbal preparations, aspirins, etc. Just to be on the safe side, I stopped everything except my birth control pill. When taing supplements, there are sometimes side effects that can be undesirable during surgery. For instance, some act as blood thinners, others have affects on your heart, etc. I was given an entire 3-4 page pamplet!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tina.. hmmm I should be right to continue taking my daily multi vitamins and Vitamin C surely :S
ReplyDeleteI would double check even on those because I think I was told to not take any vitamin C supplements, I don't exactly remember. All docs are different. Just ensure your doc knows what you are taking and he okays it. Better safe than sorry.
ReplyDeleteOh, I saw on my blog you asked if I had headaches or just general pain. It's weird. I have tension and tightness where my upper plates are which feels weird. I also get TMJ pain which I hope to god goes away because I believe sometimes surgery can aggravate TMJ problems. And then there is tingling on my chin. The portion where my top plates are and the aching TMJ is why I take the meds. It starts to get out of control if I don't take my meds every 6 hours. I am down to 1/2 doses though.
i think because when they intubate you, they dont want any complications to happen (chemical reactions or anything of that nature) and when your not on anything, likely hood of complications arising arent high?
ReplyDeletebut hey its a good thing they told you