Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 38

I have had a fairly normal weekend. I went out on Saturday for lunch with a bunch of girls from high school. There were a few girls there that I had not seen in a long time. They were aware of my surgery through talking to my others close friends, but really didn't know much about it. A few asked questions. One of the girls asked me, "Wow so how much did all that cost?" I thought that was slightly rude and inappropriate to ask, especially when I wouldn't regard her as one of my closest friends.

Has anyone else been asked about the cost of their surgery?? Personally I don't really like discussing it with people, it's not important for them to know.

I thought it was interesting that a friend also mentioned that I spoke differently, like more refined and clear, weird!! I didn't wear any of my elastics, so that may have helped with me sounding normal. I find it difficult talking with my mouth and lips still being stiff, but apparently everyone can hear and understand me perfectly. For lunch I ordered a chicken caesar salad. Didn't want to eat something messy or requiring a lot of effort. Bad decision!!! This salad was HUGE and I actually found the coss lettuce hard to eat, so I kinda just picked around eating a bit of the chicken, cheese and bacon. I left so much of it, felt bad but it really could have fed 3 people easily.

Swelling: I still have some swelling around my nose, chin and directly under my bottom lip. I'm sure there is still some swelling in my cheeks, it just isn't heaps noticeable anymore. Or maybe I am getting used to how I look, because there doesn't seem to be as much obvious change happening at the moment. surely this is NOT the final result for me!!
Anyways It will be interesting to watch over the next few months to see what happens with my cheeks, smile and jaw line. I am hoping my smile improves. It feels goofy and not very natural.

Numbing: There are areas on the roof of my mouth, directly near my top front teeth, which are still numb. Gums are VERY numb. I was poking my upper gum quite hard and I couldn't feel anything :(

Lips: Bottom lip doesn't look swollen, but it feel very puffy, sore and numb. I watched a Genioplasty video on Youtube out of curiosity, and I have seen what they do to your bottom lip in order to get access to the chin bone. OUCH!!! That poor lip is stretched to it absolute maximum, so no wonder it's still sore and numb.
Top lip feels fine but does sit out further then I would like. The braces don't help of course. Lips still don't meet at rest. I am trying not to stress over it until after 2 months post op. I will mention something to my OS at our next appointment, end of July if It hasn't improved at all by then.

Pain: Waking up with TMJ pain and sore ear drums. I am OVER it and hope it subsides soon.

Eating: Eating mostly anything, besides really hard things that require a lot of chewing. I eat a fair bit of chicken and tender meat (cut up), pasta and rice dishes, fish, steamed vegetables, toast, bread, yogurt, eggs and fruit.
I love breakfast as I find there are so many different soft food options I can choose from. I can eat cereal, porridge, crumpets, pancakes, baked beans, eggs and bacon, fruit and yogurt. I always look forward to breakfast. I am trying to be healthy, but I have taken advantage of eating soft "sweet" things too, like banana bread, muffins, cakes and chocolate ice-cream. I might need to start eliminating these out of my post surgery diet soon :( haha




5 comments:

  1. Hey Rhianna, I know when it's your own face you must notice every tiny detail, but in my opinion you can't notice any swelling at all, and your smile definitely does not look 'goofy' to me! It looks really nice and not at all unnatural from what I can see in these photos. I wouldn't even know that you'd had surgery from looking at these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a salad and didn't realize how difficult it was to eat. The thin parts just can't be chewed without grinding. Bacon I have found difficult to eat, way to tackle that.

    Regarding the cost, I have only been asked through email several times. I haven't actually discussed it in person, but I'm guessing it would be far more awkward discussing it in that manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good lady :) I am feeling the same way as you when you said 'surely this is not the final result for me!' I can't really figure out WHERE the swelling is, but things still don't seem to be sitting fully normal so there must be swelling somewhere! I can definitely see that there are parts of your face that are still swollen too. I wish it would hurry up and go away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recovery seems to be going well. I can't feel my gums either more on top than on bottom. The swelling is annoying and comes and goes from what I experience. You look great, and Im sure that time and only time will manifest all of the changes we all long for. Its hard to wait for the small tweaks! Your profile is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Tresa that the swelling comes and goes for me too. But I do now wake in the morning without feeling like my head is the size of a pumpkin. So that is progress! Hee hee! The changes from here on out are sloooow but you are looking fantastic and that last bit of swelling and numbness will surely subside.

    ReplyDelete