Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Current teeth situation

This is to all of you out there who had an open bite previously to jaw surgery! In the past year I have watched my bite very carefully, probably too obsessively, but I have noticed my bite has slightly opened and I have read that an Esssek retainer ( which is what I was given to retain my teeth position) should not be given to open bite patients as it can cause relapse as the plastic is creating 'space' between upper and lower and there is not proper bite retention. Has anyone got any insight into this??

I would hate to think that my ortho could have given me another retainer instead, hat would not have caused these problems. I do know that the Essek retainer are good too as they help with jaw grinding/clenching which was my other problem. Catch 22?!?!?!?

I'm really nervous, worried and anxious as I don't know what I should do about this now!! Obviously my open bite is nothing like it was per surgery but still it's there and I don't want it to get worse!!!!

I am also experiencing pretty noticeable jaw clicking and grinding in both jaw joints. I've just started Physiotherapy which I should have began ages ago. I have exercises to do everyday, massaging the TMJ joint and surrounding jaw muscle. I also have exercises to improve my neck strength/ position and posture. It's amazing and overwhelming at the same time how everything is connected and ultimately affects each other. So important to have good posture.

Anyways! Happy New Year!! I hope it's great and positive for all of us!!!

1 comment:

  1. wow thats a horrible situation to be in after everything. Have you contacted your orthodontist about this? I would call the ortho and see if there is a different retainer they could go with that might help to fix the problem. I notice that now with my bite closed I have no clicking but I had it all the time with the open bite so maybe it's a result of the bite changing.
    I hope you get that all sorted out.
    Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete